Including paragraph numbers (when there are no page numbers)
This one is tricky because some NWTC instructors have indicated that they do NOT want students to count paragraphs.
If an instructor does want you to follow the strict APA rules:
"... you can include any of the following in the text to cite the quotation" (APA Manual):
- A paragraph number, if provided; alternatively, you could count paragraphs down from the beginning of the document.
- An overarching heading plus a paragraph number within that section.
- A short title in quotation marks, in cases in which the heading is too unwieldy to cite in full.
- (Basu & Jones, 2007, para. 4)
- (Basu & Jones, 2007, "Stalking," para. 3)
- (Basu & Jones, 2007, "Cyberspace Sociality – Space and Community")